Thursday, January 29, 2015

Dogs on the PCT


Since this is a blog about hiking with dogs I thought I ought to address this. Just in case some random internet troll comes along and starts yelling at us about how we're torturing our dog. Don't worry little troll Jaxx isn't going. This is a bummer for me, but it's the right choice.

Dogs are allowed on a large portion of the PCT, but in my opinion it is a cruel thing to do and not terribly practical either. Here's why:

  • Your dog cannot mentally prepare for what it's going to mean to be hiking every day for 3 months. 
  • There are places on the PCT where you go 30 miles without water. Are you really going to carry all the water you need, and enough water for your pet? If I really skimp I could make it two days on 6 L, having to carry double that for my dog as well is a LOT OF EXTRA WEIGHT.
  • Same thing for food. Except multiple it by 3 months, and remember you're eating more, your dog would need to also.
  • You can mentally push yourself through pain. Blisters. Toenails falling off. Etc. What do you think you'll do if your dog just stops? I've carried Jaxx 1.5 miles when he couldn't hike anymore and it sucked for both of us. 
  • For the sections where dogs are not allowed, are you planning on having somebody pick you and your dog up and drop you off on the other side? Logistical nightmare.
Instead, Jaxx will be staying with my Mom for the three months we'll be gone. I'll miss him, but he probably won't miss me too much. My mom has two dogs, that Jaxx loves playing with and she lives on half an acre so he gets to run around and play ball everyday. On the whole a much better option than misery and cracked foot pads.

No comments:

Post a Comment