Thursday, March 28, 2013

Product Review: Osprey Hydraform Reservoir (70oz/2L)

Uses: Day Hikes, Over Nights, Possibly multi-days (see below)
Cost $27 at Campmor.com (links below)
Times Used: 10+

Two posts today since I'm going to be out at Deception Pass on Whidbey Island this whole weekend, camping and hiking. There should be a post on that either Monday or Wednesday. My plan is to try and post MWF, but yesterday was super slammed and I'll be working in the office tomorrow, so no blogging. 

I know a lot of people get nervous about carrying bladders (including myself), especially on multi-day trips where the concern that you would lose your water container and get your gear soaked to boot is very legitimate. I might go more old school for multi-day trips, but I think for over nights and day hikes you absolutely should be using a bladder. I have a big hydration problem when I hike, I just don’t stop as often or drink as much as I should. So despite my own reservations, I decided to go shopping for a reservoir for myself.

I did some research and ended up going with Osprey, even though it’s on the pricey side, for a few reasons. The material is SUPER durable. It has a frame that contours with your back, so it’s not weird or uncomfortable as you drink. It’s anti-microbial with a wide mouth that helps it dry out faster. It’s BPA and PVC free. It also has an attachable magnet that you can put on your bag so the bite valve isn’t flying all over the place and getting in your way. This sounds kind of frivolous, but I’ve tried carrying this thing without something to hold the bite valve and line in place and it’s irritating when it flaps all over.

The one thing I don’t like is that even though it’s got anti-taste stuff it still tends to taste a bit like plastic, unless I rinse it out a bunch before using it. I’m very sensitive to tastes though. I am also considering upgrading to the 3L instead of 2L since I tend to go through 2L on a warm day in a few hours. It is a little on the heavy side, so if you do ultralight or trail running I would recommend something else. Also every bad review of this product I’ve seen comes from trail runners. They seem to get leaks, too much jostling around maybe? I have never had a problem with leaking of any kind and no problems with the valves. I would definitely recommend it for hiking though, especially day use.

Version I have here 
Updated Version ($30-$35 here

No comments:

Post a Comment